Wednesday, June 14, 2006

It’s my birthday and I’m the bomb!

Weird things happen even when you’re 26.

Today, I was asked, “how does it feel to be 26?” Last year I had to answer, “how does it feel to be 25?” Whew! This is beginning to be a formula question where the age is the variable which is in constant increment of one whole number a year. (Notice that I am trying to sound mathematical despite the lack of complicated math in my life for the past four years.)

I foresee yet another question of this format next year, so I am answering it now: Being (fill in with present age) is no different from being (fill in with previous age). I went to bed last night and woke up today, and I’m still the same ‘ol me. The only difference is, I have to add 1 to my age.

* * *

If my Japanese is still properly tuned, then I am correct when I say that June 14 in Japanese is rokugatsu ju-yokka. (For the record, I am not holding any of my JAP 10 & JAP 11 notes.)

Other people celebrating their birthdays today are as follows: My sister’s fiancé’s dad (zi family iz growing, eh?), Donald trump (Do I smell riches?!), Boy George (Chama-chama-chama-chameleoooonnn! It comes and goes, it comes and go-oohohs!), John Estrada (No comment!) and Anton Diva (2 gays?! What does this say?!?).

To all of them, Otanjoobi omedetoo!

* * *

My youngest brother told me that I should not go to work today since it is my birthday. I told him that I am not used to staying at home on the 14th of June. My birthday almost always falls on a school day and there’s no such thing as birthday leaves in school. School had kept me busy on my birthday for 17 and a half years. I am not about to let work interfere with my self-proclaimed tradition.

It proved to be a good decision. Today, we were dismissed 10 minutes earlier than usual. It was a big wow. Could it be that I am THAT important that the management gave me and my officemates 10 extra (precious) minutes to live our own lives as free individuals?

Apparently that was not the case.

Unless I am the bomb threatening our building.

* * *

Last Friday, the last Friday night I spent being 25 (Charos!), I re-watched X-men3. I went home pretty late. On the way home, when the FX I was riding turned right at the corner of Canley Road, the headlights spotted a tall guy in drag (as in drag queen, I hope my spelling is correct). He immediately ducked as if we caught him doing something really bad whereas he was just there, in a black dress, fully made up with a long black wig. I felt sorry for him for thinking that he was doing something wrong. I really wish the day will come when he can strut his stuff without having to hide from anyone.

Other films I have seen twice on the silver screen are as follows: Forrest Gump, The Sixth Sense, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and (again) X-men3.

* * *

A few days ago, I was talking to my Greek friend, Eros. I prefer the Greek him than the Roman one. I don’t like him to go pop. Maybe one day I will document what I have been telling him. He ends here for now.

Incidentally, I had this offer last Friday to become a case study for an upcoming TV show. Geezz, I’m a case study! Why do I feel like I am a freak? Hmmm…

Over a nice meal at French Baker, I was interviewed by a FRIEND/TV show researcher why I haven’t had any boyfriend for 26 years. Was I insulted? No. Not really, more like caught off-guard. You see, I write about it often but I seldom talk about it.

She told me that that was precisely the reason why she had chosen me to be her case study. Because I had rich opinion on the matter. I told her I will “appear” on her show only in silhouette. Seriously, I couldn’t say yes. The offer was tempting, after all they will be give me a makeover. I believe that there’s no such thing as instant “makeover”, I just want the free expensive pampering. That’s all. However, there is a catch: the “makeover” is in preparation for a blind date. I would have said yes right away if the date was Ivan Mayrina. Bwehehe. (I can’t help but laugh. Excuse me.)

Being the show’s case study on what may be its pilot episode would have given me the opportunity to correct the notion the we, NBSBs (No Boyfriend Since Birth), are who we are because we have no other choice but be. On the other hand, some of us choose to be, maybe in the mean time, or for a few more years or maybe permanently. The thing is, we don’t want people’s pity. WE ARE NO LESS THAN ANYONE ELSE JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE NOT BEEN PART OF A COUPLE. In spite of it all, we are happy, genuinely happy.

Why don’t I take the offer? Because for a silly makeover I will be selling myself short. I will go against my principles. I will be contradicting what I told my Greek friend, Eros. Specifically that about me not planning to beautify myself just to snatch some guy. Because going on a blind date on national television at that, will be a forced step to a relationship, maybe not with the blind date but to relationship in general (and I am one famous for sticking to my own pace). Because I will not be me if I say yes.

* * *

The day is coming to an end and so is this entry. But before I go, allow me to thank everyone who sent their wishes, greetings, and happy thoughts. And, yes, we at Hallmark receive birthday cards on our birthdays. In fact, I received two today. I especially appreciate the size 49 card with paperstock Vellum 180, singlefold, full-color inside signed by almost everyone in our department.

That and the bomb threat make my 26th birthday quite explosive!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites