Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Goodbye Auntie Belinda

Auntie Belinda, the last of our Delgado elders, passed away yesterday morning. She is the youngest sister of my dad’s dad.

The last time I saw her, I thought she was so thin, I was able to hug her with one arm.

Auntie Belinda is an old maid. She doesn’t recommend it.

I remember what Nichi told me when I asked him to take care of me if I end up being an old maid.

I said, “Nichi, alagaan mo ako, pag tumandang dalaga ako ha?”

Nichi replied, “Ate, dapat magkaanak ka na lang.”

Suddenly I missed our youngest. He was supposed to be the last one in our immediate family to go but he went first. But his death probably is one of the best deaths of all times because he wasn’t alone when he let go of his final breath and many who loved him graced his three-day wake.

Auntie Belinda was the youngest in their family and she was the last one to go. She may have died alone and few might have paid their final respect for her but she surely left her mark, no matter how little it may be.

To me she is my grandaunt who doesn’t recommend spinsterhood.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites