Sunday, January 20, 2008

Subtitles and Pancakes

“You were my further king! I love you!”

Can you imagine Obi Wan Kenobi saying that to Annakin Skywalker? Even I can’t. But what can one expect from a pirated DVD copy of Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith? Of course, subtitles worth the money one paid for.

Did I just get into trouble by saying that I watched a pirated copy of the final installment to the Star Wars prequel’s trilogy? Am I in further trouble for implying that, I may have paid for an illegal copy of George Luccas’ sixth intergalactic baby?

Whoops!

If there’s any consolation, Master Luccas, I as well as the rest of my family watched Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith on theaters when it was released here in our land. That’s six Php 150-160 already. Poverty and fanaticism may have pushed me to give in to a pirate’s temptation.

So what was my favorite Jedi’s original line, the one he uttered when he was having a plethora of emotions after finding out that his young padawan has crossed to the dark side?

“You were my brother, Annakin! I loved you!”

A note to Master Luccas: You are not my brother but I love you. I crossed to the dark side by watching and maybe purchasing a copy of your movie that doesn’t give you or your people any monetary profit. But be kind. You have earned a fan—if that means anything. I shall await your next venture. I swore to see it on theaters to ensure that you’ll get a cut from me this time. Until then. May the force be with us all.

* * *

Never again shall I buy a Pillsbury One-Step Hotcake Mix! (Note that I am not condemning the entire Pillsbury brand. It’s just their one-step mix I’m saying no to.) It’s quite pricey for Php 60.25 for two 250g packs. I must have thought that the extra pesos will be worth the time I’d save preparing it. Plus it may spare me a few more pesos for milk, eggs and butter. But no!

What I got from just adding water to flour then pan frying it is a bunch of pancakes that taste like hydrated flour. I had to administer damage control over the rest of the mixture by adding beaten eggs, milk and butter—the ingredients and processes I was hoping to runaway from.

How much does an ordinary hotcake mix cost anyway? I bet the cheaper ones taste way better that the one step thing.

Lesson learned? There are no shortcuts to the shortcuts in preparing palatable foods.

I should have been thankful for the choices of commercial hotcake mixes available in supermarkets. At least I need not worry about yeasts and stuff. Milk, eggs and butter are really worth the trouble.

1 comment:

Princess Ody said...

I have to second your sentiment regarding the One-Step Hotcake Mix. Hindi nga masarap. :(

Add to Technorati Favorites