Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Teacher’s Day

I was greeted by a high school classmate, “Happy Teacher’s Day” today. It felt odd but good.

I have been a part time teacher for the past months. (Notice how I am saying it directly now unlike before.) Yet, I strongly believe that there’s no such thing as a part time teacher.

You are a teacher. Period. It’s not a job. It’s a lifestyle.

It’s a load of responsibilities you whole-heartedly accept the day you say yes to the class assigned to you. It is a commitment to be your best all the time because a group of young ones look up to you. It comes with the role-model burden which, if pulled off well, proves to be emotionally rewarding. It requires passion and enthusiasm along with a sufficient stock of knowledge. If you can’t deliver any of each, then don’t teach.

I know I have a long way to go to become my perfect picture of a teacher. My one-hour and 45-minute class every week isn’t enough to mold me into the perfect faculty icon.

I used to think that being a student for 17 years automatically makes me eligible to teacher-dom. Apparently, it doesn’t work that way. It takes experience and tips from the experienced to know how to facilitate and instruct inside a classroom. It takes time. And it takes more time.

Above anything else, I have my present students to thank for making me a teacher. I know they are my guinea pigs but I ultimately did my best to share to them whatever it is I know. I will be a better teacher because of all 22 of them.

Happy teacher’s day to all my fellow members of the faculty! Happy St. Paul Day to all of you, too!

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites